Earl,

If one judges by financial performance and a sustainable business model,
it is fairly obvious that those responsible have not done a very good
job of managing X12 or DISA (and I hold the DISA Board and X12 Steering
Committee responsible rather than the DISA staff). However, I personally
know most of the parties involved and take exception to your statement
that the efforts of the X12 membership are being "abused".

Mike

Michael C. Rawlins, Senior Software Engineer, GXS
Sent from personal account

On 7/2/2013 12:06 PM, Earl Wertheimer wrote:

> Doug
>
> > We have had this discussion before, free vs. fee. I don't want us to
> head
> > down that rabbit hole again.
>
> You call it a rabbit hole. I would call it inevitable.
>
> > Bill's original post was concerning a change in pricing policy.
>
> Yes. I am reminded of the ill-fated decision to start sending invoices
> for UPC
> codes many years ago.
> http://www.barcodestalk.com/ucc-settlement
>
> My experiences with ECCC (Canadian branch of GS1) were not much better.
>
> A client had used a UPC prefix many years ago, but had 'forgotten' it.
> I had a
> record of it, but wanted confirmation. I contacted ECCC and asked them
> if they
> would tell the client what their UPC prefix was, so that they could
> start using
> it. THEY REFUSED. They said that the client would have to join ECCC and
> purchase a new code. I send a complaint to GS1. They ignored it.
>
> > However, you state that you have never purchased the X12 Standard. I am
> > curious, how do you write your EDI software without the base standard?
>
> In my small corner of EDI, all the specifications are published by the
> various
> Trading Partners. After doing a few dozen 210 or 810 documents, it
> doesn't
> require the published spec to figure out what's required and see what the
> common denominators are.
>
> Having the base standard is pretty useless because
> a) Most of it is not used
> b) If a Partner does something non-standard, what are you going to do?
> c) Partners publish their own requirements.
> d) the new version is almost identical to the previous version
> e) there are so many different interpretations and implementations of
> the base
> standard, that paying for it is a waste.
>
> Finally, I don't charge $60,000 for my software.
>
> I certainly appreciate the time and effort that goes into maintaining the
> standard, but your efforts are being abused.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: