On 11/10/15 11:43, Leif Lindholm wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:28:10AM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> On 11/10/15 11:20, Conen, Johannes wrote:
>>> Hmm, you're right..... is it briefly mentioned in the "ShellPkg
>>> Notes.txt" - I must admit, I only took a look at the
>>> "UDK2015-ReleaseNotes-MyWorkSpace.txt" and expected all major changes
>>> to mentioned there (and well, they were, like the moving of the
>>> library files). So this non-backwards-compatibility from UDK2015 to
>>> UDK2014 regarding network-related stuff is intended?
>>
>> I'll have to let Jiaxin answer this question; I'm not a participant in
>> UDK feature planning. And, I have no idea how UDK releases account for
>> compatibility in general.
>>
>> (My *guess* is that UDK2015 generally targets (or moved towards) UEFI
>> 2.5, and Ip4Config (version 1) is apparently deprecated in UEFI 2.5.)
>
> The actual wording from the specification is:
> ---
> The EFI_IP4_CONFIG_PROTOCOL has been replaced with the new
> EFI_IP4_CONFIG2_PROTOCOL.
> • All new designs based on this specification should exclusively use
>   EFI_IP4_CONFIG2_PROTOCOL .
> • The EFI_IP4_CONFIG_PROTOCOL will be removed in the next revision of
>   this specification.
> ---
>
> Clearly this creates a compatibility breakage at some point.
>
> Is this something we consider "not a problem", or should the shell
> implement (providing a reference for how to implement) fallback to
> EFI_IP4_CONFIG_PROTOCOL if EFI_IP4_CONFIG2_PROTOCOL is not available?

Whether the shell in edk2 should or should not provide fallback code for
EFI_IP4_CONFIG_PROTOCOL is for Intel to answer :), but I think I can ask
one more question as to "how".

Namely, if one adds (or keeps) the Ip4Config fallback code to (in) the
shell in edk2, how does that compat feature get tested, staying within
the tree? It would require keeping the Ip4Config protocol implementation
around just for the sake of testing the fallback.

I don't think that's a good idea.

Instead, any dependencies on specific versions of the UEFI spec should
be spelled out loud and clear. (I believe I've read such requirements
presented by Windows, on MSDN.) Mapping each UDK release to a UEFI spec
version would be a bonus.

Thanks
Laszlo