From: Ye, Ting [ting...@intel.com]
To: Conen, Johannes [johannes.co...@siemens.com]; Laszlo Ersek
[ler...@redhat.com]; Wu, Jiaxin [jiaxin...@intel.com]; edk2-devel@lists.01.org
[edk2-de...@ml01.01.org]; Carsey, Jaben [jaben.car...@intel.com]
CC: Leif Lindholm (Linaro address) [leif.lindh...@linaro.org]
Subject: Re: [edk2] ShellPkg: Network commands (ifconfig/ping) broken

One solution to support UEFI 2.4 network modules with UEFI 2.5 ifconfig is to
add the code back to use HII services to perform setting. The definition of
NIC_IP4_CONFIG_INFO and a private GUID gEfiNicIp4ConfigVariableGuid should be
added into ShellPkg as UEFI 2.5 no longer keep the definition in MdeModulePkg.
This will bring complexity to ShellPkg.

Also, more older network modules even uses a private protocol NicIp4Config
protocol (defined in EdkCompatibilityPkg) to fix the issue in
EFI_IP4_CONFIG_PROTOCOL. When Shell commands upgrade to Shell 2.0, the ifconfig
removes the support of this protocol. Does the UEFI 2.5 ifconfig need support
this protocol also to co-work with older platform?

Jaben, what's your opinion about this?

Best Regards,
Ye Ting