On 3 December 2015 at 12:17, David Woodhouse <dw...@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 11:50 +0100, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>> The RVCT compiler chokes on a couple of issues in upstream OpenSSL
>> that
>> can be confirmed to be non-issues by inspection. So just ignore these
>> warnings entirely.
>
> I still maintain this needs a reference to bug reports — either
> *compiler* bugs, if the compiler is just being entirely stupid, or
> OpenSSL RT tickets.
>
> Or both, since it's possible to work around it compiler issues in the
> source code even if it's actually the *compiler* at fault.
>
> But in no circumstance is it acceptable for such a patch to reference
> *neither* a compiler nor a source bug, surely?

I don't think OpenSSL upstream is at fault here in any of the cases,
and I definitely would not recommend obfuscating OpenSSL to make RVCT
happy even if some instances could be easily solved by adding a
redundant zero initializer, since such changes often do more evil than
good.

So that leaves reporting bugs to ARM regarding RVCT. I guess that
should be an option, perhaps Eugene can take this up, being an actual
paying ARM customer? Note than I work for Linaro, not for ARM (unlike
Leif, who is an ARM employee that is seconded to Linaro), so of the
people involved, I am definitely not in the best position to chase
this.

Thanks,
Ard.