On 3 December 2015 at 12:26, Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheu...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 3 December 2015 at 12:17, David Woodhouse <dw...@infradead.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 11:50 +0100, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>>> The RVCT compiler chokes on a couple of issues in upstream OpenSSL
>>> that
>>> can be confirmed to be non-issues by inspection. So just ignore these
>>> warnings entirely.
>>
>> I still maintain this needs a reference to bug reports — either
>> *compiler* bugs, if the compiler is just being entirely stupid, or
>> OpenSSL RT tickets.
>>
>> Or both, since it's possible to work around it compiler issues in the
>> source code even if it's actually the *compiler* at fault.
>>
>> But in no circumstance is it acceptable for such a patch to reference
>> *neither* a compiler nor a source bug, surely?
>>

> I don't think OpenSSL upstream is at fault here in any of the cases,
> and I definitely would not recommend obfuscating OpenSSL to make RVCT
> happy even if some instances could be easily solved by adding a
> redundant zero initializer, since such changes often do more evil than
> good.
>
> So that leaves reporting bugs to ARM regarding RVCT. I guess that
> should be an option, perhaps Eugene can take this up, being an actual
> paying ARM customer? Note than I work for Linaro, not for ARM (unlike
> Leif, who is an ARM employee that is seconded to Linaro), so of the
> people involved, I am definitely not in the best position to chase
> this.

... and by the way, I see the following list for MSFT compiler:

  # C4244: conversion from type1 to type2, possible loss of data
  # C4702: unreachable code
  # C4706: assignment within conditional expression
  # C4133: incompatible types - from type1 to type2
  # C4245: conversion from type1 to type2, signed/unsigned mismatch
  # C4267: conversion from size_t to type, possible loss of data
  # C4305: truncation from type1 to type2 of smaller size
  # C4306: conversion from type1 to type2 of greater size
  # C4702: Potentially uninitialized local variable name used

where at least two seem to overlap with the three I am adding here:
4702 and 4706 (which I think the second occurrence of C4702 is
supposed to refer to)

Are you saying that all of the issues have been reported to either
OpenSSL or Microsoft? Or does this apply to RVCT only?