On 05/30/16 20:01, Kinney, Michael D wrote:
> Laszlo,
>
> Finished description below.

Thanks!

> I also want to mention that I have successfully used Com0Com to do this in the
> past.  I just found remapping to TCPIP was much, much faster, so once I
> figured
> that out I have never gone back to Com0Com.  Probably should add both the
> Com0Com
> and TCPIP mapping in OVMF to UDK Debugger Tool test cases and update Wikis
> with
> this info.

That would be great!

> I imagine there is an equivalent config on Linux/GDB using TCPIP
> remap that we can document and test as well.

The gdb remote protocol is automatically over TCP. QEMU contains a
built-in GDB stub (a GDB server) that can serve GDB "primitives"
requested by the GDB client (= the "gdb" utility). The problem with
setting up GDB is not the connection / handshake, but getting the edk2
symbols into "gdb". Which is what DebugPkg is about (discussed elsewhere
on the list today).

When using gdb for debugging, the debuggee is unaware of it; there's no
debug agent built into it. Memory accesses etc are served by QEMU.

Thanks!