On 2016-09-01 11:46:04, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 09/01/16 20:03, Jordan Justen wrote:
>
> > I think there would be value to have a non-VGA device that could still
> > configure a simple framebuffer. VGA does bring a fair amount of other
> > baggage.
>
> Ah, I see your point. You distinguish "VGA" from "non-VGA device with
> framebuffer".
>
> For this discussion however, this distinction makes no difference. The
> suggested "non-VGA device with framebuffer" would be broken exactly the
> same way. In other words, it's not the "other baggage" that is broken,
> it is the framebuffer.

This is only focusing on the current ARM issue. I'm just pointing out
that I think virtio gpu without VGA, but with a framebuffer could be
useful on IA32/X64 as well.

1. You don't have to deal with the PCI bus

2. The OS re-enumerating the PCI bus would not break the framebuffer

Is there no chance that ARM KVM might someday also be able to support
a framebuffer?

Obviously this is not too important for IA32/X64 OVMF, because we have
reasonable alternatives. But, it seems like virtio gpu could be a
significantly better option for IA32/X64 OVMF if an optional
framebuffer was possible.

-Jordan