On 21 October 2016 at 21:14, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/16 21:58, Jordan Justen wrote:
>> On 2016-10-21 12:37:21, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>>> I don't remember seeing any discussion regarding
>>> DISABLE_NEW_DEPRECATED_INTERFACES on the list, so I am a bit surprised
>>> seeing these bugs being filed and assigned.
>>>

>> I agree.
>>
>> Also, the terminology seems confusing. 'new deprecated' seems like a
>> contradiction. I guess it means 'newly deprecated', but that seems
>> like a term that is quickly going to become obsolete. Soon there will
>> be old deprecated items that are disabled with this switch.
>> DISABLE_DEPRECATED_INTERFACES sounds better.
>>
>> But, shouldn't we have platforms opt-in to using the deprecated
>> interfaces rather than adding DISABLE_NEW_DEPRECATED_INTERFACES to the
>> build command line for every EDK II platform?
>>
>> Not using deprecated items should be the default for EDK II platforms.
>> If a platform has to opt-in to the deprecated content in their .dsc,
>> then it is obvious that they are relying on deprecated functionality.
>>
>> So, I guess I'd propose adding ENABLE_DEPRECATED_INTERFACES instead.
>
> I'm about to post a ~20-part series for OvmfPkg and ArmVirtPkg together
> that solves these BZs. :/ The DISABLE_NEW_DEPRECATED_INTERFACES feature
> test macro is already being used in three MdePkg library class header
> files (and a number of library instances), so I thought it was a done deal.
>
> I don't want to stifle the discussion of course, but at this point I
> think I will post the patches for review.

Yes, please. Removing uses of deprecated interfaces is something we
should do anyway. What we shouldn't do is configure our platforms in
such a way that additional future deprecation automatically break the
build, unless we have a strong commitment from the other package
owners that they will ensure that this does not happen.