From: af...@apple.com [mailto:af...@apple.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 10:37 AM
To: Tim Lewis <tim.le...@insyde.com>
Cc: Bjorge, Erik C <erik.c.bjo...@intel.com>; edk2-devel@lists.01.org
Subject: Re: [edk2] RFC: Proposal to halt automatic builds of Windows BaseTools
executables

> On Mar 8, 2018, at 10:05 AM, Tim Lewis <tim.le...@insyde.com> wrote:
>
> Erik --
>
> What is the justification? Moving from more immediately usable to less
> immediately usable doesn't seem, on the surface, to be  a good direction.
> Why not go the other direction and pre-build the binaries for the
> other environments?

Tim,

I'm not a big fan of the prebuilt tools. In a production environment it is
usually preferable to have source and to NOT check in binaries. Given the other
environments have Python by default I don't see the value of pre-building the
tools on Unix systems?

I think the ease of use issue is really a different issue (other than having to
install Python).  Most projects you start from the root and type make (nmake).
A top level makefile would abstract the building of the tools and the need to
setup environment variables.

Why can't I pull a git repo and do:
$ make OvmfPkgX64

I grant it may be hard to automagically pick the compiler but you can do things
like:
$ make OvmfPkgX64 BUILD_FLAGS="-n 1 -t XCODE"

As long as build.py acts like a compiler and the last version of a given flag
wins this should be easy to do.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish