From: Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 1:19 PM
To: Tim Lewis <tim.le...@insyde.com>; 'Bjorge, Erik C'
<erik.c.bjo...@intel.com>; edk2-devel@lists.01.org
Subject: Re: [edk2] RFC: Proposal to halt automatic builds of Windows BaseTools
executables

On 03/08/18 19:05, Tim Lewis wrote:
> Erik --
>
> What is the justification? Moving from more immediately usable to less
> immediately usable doesn't seem, on the surface, to be  a good direction.
> Why not go the other direction and pre-build the binaries for the
> other environments?

I'd just like to offer one data point for the last question: most open source
developers *really* dislike running any native binaries that were built by
neither (a) themselves nor (b) the provider of their OS distribution.

To give you an example for (b), Fedora provides the "edk2-tools" package (built
from the "edk2" source package), and "edk2-tools" definitely installs native
binaries:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=13354362

The difference is that these binaries were built in a build environment that
matches the rest of Fedora [*] and is generally trusted by Fedora users.

[*] For example, binaries could be instrumented for security purposes
system-wide; some buffer overflows in a native (C) application could be caught
automatically as a result.