On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 05:58:08PM +0000, Kinney, Michael D wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to propose the creation of a new
> repository called edk2-apps.  This repository
> would initially be used to host the following
> packages from the edk2 repository:
>
> * AppPkg
> * StdLib
> * StdLibPrivateInternalFiles

Let me start by saying I 100% back moving these out of the main edk2
repository.

> These 3 packages provide support for the libc along
> with applications that depend on libc.  None of the
> other packages in the edk2 repository use these
> packages, so these 3 package can be safely moved
> without any impacts to platform firmware builds.
> Build configurations that do use libc features can
> clone the edk2-apps repository and add it to
> PACKAGES_PATH.

I must confess to never having properly understood the scope of AppPkg
to begin with.

AppPkg/Applications/Hello does not appear to have any further (real)
dependency on libc than MdeModulePkg/Application/HelloWorld/, and .

And certainly MdeModulePkg/Applications contain plenty of
... applications.

So, if the purpose is simply to provide some examples of application
written to libc rather than UEFI - should this be edk2-libc instead?

Best Regards,

Leif