On 01/25/19 21:28, Brian J. Johnson wrote:
> On 1/24/19 5:30 AM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

>>> I keep asking this question, I don't believe I've seen an
>>> answer. Apologies if I've missed it.
>>
>> I think you haven't. And, I'm curious too. :)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Laszlo
>>
>>> Is this code genuinely not going to continue to exist anywhere else in
>>> the Intel ecosystem, any more?
>>>
>>> No TianoCore-based images from this point forth are ever going to even
>>> have the option of supporting CSM?
>>>
>>> Unless some third party also chooses to fork the CSM support code and
>>> keep it on for themselves?
>>>

> In fall of 2017, Intel declared their intention to end legacy BIOS
> support on their platforms by 2020.
>
> http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/Brian_Richardson_Intel_Final.pdf
>

> I believe they have stuck to this story at subsequent UEFI plugfests.

Thank you! For me that answers the question.

--*--

BTW, I'm glad slides 11, 17, 18 say "Remove user motivations to stick
with BIOS: Improve experience with UEFI Secure Boot". It's incredible
how many UEFI implementations do not offer any *real* BootOrder/Boot####
management even, not to mention the obscure hacks such as forcibly
re-setting the first boot option to Windows, if it is installed etc.
It's no surprise people rely on "shim" and "grub" (and other 3rd party
boot loaders) more than ever -- they want to get out of the crappy
platform firmware UI as soon as they can, and reach a UI they can
actually control.