On 10/18/12 10:12, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 03:38:37AM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> I have no idea why the UEFI-booted kernel tries to initialize the
>> display with Int10h, since that is a (VGA) BIOS interrupt.
> Looks like google knows something about it. Search for "INT 10" here:
> http://www.uefi.org/events/UEFI-Plugfest-WindowsBootEnvironment.pdf
>
> * VGA support still requires INT 10h support
>  * Windows Server 2008 supports headless systems with no VGA

(The hang reproduces with "-vga none" as well.)

Two screenshots linked (sorry, found no easy way to extract text from
the call stack window):
- call stack from the (futile) display initialization loop [1], with
"-vga cirrus",
- call stack during the "hang" [2]. The call stack looks the same with
"-vga cirrus" and "-vga none". Appears to be consistent with the kvm ftrace.

I'll try to follow the guest with finer granularity before the idle
loop. (Single stepping seems a bit too ambitious.)

Thanks!
Laszlo

[1]
http://people.redhat.com/~lersek/ovmf_win2k8r2sp1_debug/during-display-init.png