On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Grant Likely <grant.lik...@secretlab.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Cohen, Eugene <eug...@hp.com> wrote:
>> You should be able to squeeze down the GPT header and entry array to reside
>> in LBAs 1 to 16 and make the boot partition a real GPT partition as well.  I
>> didn't see anything in the GPT spec that specifies a minimum entry array
>> size so 14 LBAs may be sufficient.
>
> Okay, that's good to know. I didn't go look at the spec yet and was
> going by the scant information that I've found so far.

The GPT document is the chapter in the UEFI spec. So it should be clear how it
all works after you read that.

> I'd like to
> know if there is any way to specify the maximum number of partition
> entries in the partition table header so that partitioning tools don't
> blithely overwrite the firmware image.

What you need to do is make LBA 17 (what ever range the SoC specifies) a GPT
partition.
You can generate a PartitionTypeGUID that  means Arndale magic partition.
You can give the partition a 72 character null terminated string name, that
tells folks not to move or delete it.
You can also set the Attribute for the GPT Partition Entry  with the Required
Partition bit which implies if the partition is modified the system may not
boot.

After you do this partitioning tools should recognize that is is not safe to
mess around with the Arndale partition.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish