On 09/16/13 21:50, Andrew Fish wrote:

> OVMF:
> Limitations: Requires QEMU, serial port debugging (not well
> documented), more complex setup.

I agree that the setup is complex.

Regarding serial port debugging... Could you suggest how / where to
improve the documentation? "OvmfPkg/README" says

  * Capturing OVMF debug messages on qemu:
    - The default OVMF build writes debug messages to IO port 0x402.  The
      following qemu command line options save them in the file called
      debug.log: '-debugcon file:debug.log -global isa-debugcon.iobase=0x402'.
    - It is possible to revert to the original behavior, when debug messages
were
      written to the emulated serial port (potentially intermixing OVMF debug
      output with UEFI serial console output).  For this the
      '-D DEBUG_ON_SERIAL_PORT' option has to be passed to the build command
(see
      the next section), and in order to capture the serial output qemu needs to
      be started with eg. '-serial file:serial.log'.

> Benefits: Can boot any UEFI OS! Closer to real platforms. Cross
> architecture, so you could boot an ARM VM on your X86 system.

I wish :)

It's cross-platform as long as qemu-system-x86_64 / qemu-system-i386
build & runs on your arch of choice, and TCG (tiny code generator)
doesn't choke on the OVMF binary. (Which it seemed to do the last time I
tried, alas.)

OVMF is currently tied to i440fx/PIIX3. I think you can boot an ARM
guest in a qemu-system-arm binary that has been built for x86, but OVMF
isn't available for that guest right now.

Thanks
Laszlo