On 10/28/13 22:27, Jordan Justen wrote:
> https://github.com/jljusten/edk2.git ovmf-nvvars-v1
>
> This series implements support for QEMU's emulated
> system flash.
>
> This allows for persistent UEFI non-volatile variables.
>
> Previously we attemptedto emulate non-volatile
> variables in a few ways, but each of them would fail
> in particular situations.
>
> To use:
>  * QEMU version 1.1 or newer is required without KVM
>  * KVM support requires Linux 3.7 and QEMU 1.6
>  * Run QEMU with -pflash OVMF.fd instead of -L or -bios
>    or use OvmfPkg/build.sh --enable-flash qemu ...

That means that persistent variables will be written back to OVMF.fd
(also in accordance with patch 3/8), doesn't it?

Would it be possible, in general, to split off the variable storage, and
keep OVMF.fd read-only, and continue to specify it with -bios?

Because, if OVMF.fd is read/write on the host filesystem, and
non-volatile variables are written into it, then:

- With N guests that want to have independent sets of variables, the
user needs N copies of OVMF.fd. That per se is not a big problem, but

- Upgrading OVMF to a newer build, while preserving each guest's
variables is (a) messy -- needs fiddling with the guts of the
preexistent OVMF.fd files, (b) an O(n) operation -- each guest's copy
needs to be updated separately.

A separate, per-guest, "data only" flash, and a read-only-as-before OVMF
binary would be more flexible for Linux distributions.

I'm not suggesting that it should be done in this series, I'm just
asking about the possibility. (For example I have no idea what happens
on a physical host to someone's NvVars when the UEFI BIOS is reflashed
to a newer build.)

I'd be glad to work on this later on (but I'll need guidance).

Thanks
Laszlo