On 03/05/15 12:38, Leif Lindholm wrote:
> On 05/03/15 10:19, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> Public branch: <https://github.com/lersek/edk2/commits/build_tweaks>.
>>
>> Note that qemu commit aa685789 [1] mentioned in patches #2 and #4 is
>> pending a pull [2]. The commit hash is expected to stay stable [3].
>
> Will enabling XHCI cause any issues on earlier qemu versions, or will
> they simply fall back to EHCI?

qemu has
aa685789  fw has XhciDxe  usb-kbd requested with  result
--------  --------------  ----------------------  ----------------------
*         no              ich9-usb-ehci1          USB2 keyboard okay
*         no              nec-usb-xhci            no keyboard
no        yes             ich9-usb-ehci1          USB2 keyboard okay
no        yes             nec-usb-xhci            crash: failed ASSERT()
yes       yes             ich9-usb-ehci1          USB2 keyboard okay
yes       yes             nec-usb-xhci            USB3 keyboard okay

That is, assuming an earlier qemu version and an updated firmware, if
you stick with ich9-usb-ehci1, you'll see no changes (USB2 keyboard will
continue to work).

Assuming an earlier qemu version and an updated firmware, if you "use"
nec-usb-xhci, then the firmware update means going from "no keyboard" to
"crash". I quoted the word "use" in the previous sentence because you
most probably have not been using nec-usb-xhci, since it has not given
you a working keyboard anyway.

The firmware update won't break existing working setups. It will crash
for users who update their firmware, but not qemu, and try nec-usb-xhci
for the first time. (Saying "hey OVMF / AAVMF support XHCI now!".) This
should be prevented by the qemu commit reference in the edk2 commit
messages.

Thanks
Laszlo