On 03/11/15 12:49, Leif Lindholm wrote:

>>> Sorry, yes.
>>> Breaking in a small window of commits is not a problem.

>>> I know this is a bit tedious, but if it is feasible, could we list the
>>> range of affected QEMU commits in the commit message?
>>>
>>> I would quite like to see people start making proper use of the PCI
>>> support, before 2.3 is out.
>>
>> 2.3-rc0 should be out any day, so how about we just declare PCI support
>> usable as of that one?
>
> Works for me.
> But can we have the "breaks with" commit mentioned?

I'm certainly willing to name any qemu commits in the edk2 commit
message, but I'm a bit confused.

The qemu commit range (well, it's not really a "range", because the qemu
commit history is -- clearly -- not linear, it contains merges) would be
"we have PCI, but not the XHCI fix". That would be from:

  4ab29b82 arm: Add PCIe host bridge in virt machine

(inclusive) until

  aa685789 xhci: generate a Transfer Event for each Transfer TRB with
           the IOC bit set

(exclusive); ie.

  git log --no-merges --oneline --reverse 4ab29b82^...aa685789^

(Note the carets on both sides; git revision ranges are usually
expressed with the precisely reversed inclusive/exclusive sense -- the
LHS is usually meant as exclusive, and the RHS is usually meant as
inclusive.)

That git-log command returns a quite messy commit log; it contains 16
merges.

On the other hand, as Alex mentioned earlier, both of these patches (or,
more precisely for Alex's PCIe patch: its containing series) were merged
between 2.2 and 2.3.

So 2.2 has neither PCIe-on-arm-virt nor the xHCI fix, and 2.3 will have
both. Maybe this makes mentioning the exact PCIe introduction commit
superfluous? (I can also drop the mention of aa685789, and just say
"this is supposed to work in qemu 2.3".)

Thanks
Laszlo