On 4 June 2015 at 04:41, Andrew Fish <af...@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2015, at 7:03 PM, Jordan Justen <jordan.l.jus...@intel.com> wrote:
>

>   You can commit to svn from git.
>   git svn rebase
>   git svn dcommit
>   git svn info
>

> git svn makes svn based development sane, but it is inferior.
>
> It doesn't really support all git features.
>
> It also has a natsy gotcha where equivalent branch get artificially
> split.
>
> For example, my 'git-svn' at top-of-tree is never considered the same
> as origin/master.
>
> This prevents things like 'git merge' from being usable. Of course,
> 'git merge' can't be used with git svn anyhow...
>
> It also causes the source control history to be needlessly duplicated
> for the two branches.
>
> An example of how this wastes time is that I do my development based
> on the git origin/master branch. But, when it comes time to commit to
> svn, I checkout the git-svn branch, run git svn rebase, cherry-pick
> all the changes to the git-svn branch, and finally use git svn
> dcommit. Contrast this to just running 'git push'.

Actually, running 'git rebase origin/master --onto remotes/git-svn'
from your topic branch works just fine (after a git svn fetch) so
there is no need to cherry-pick a patch at a time.
There is not even really a need to have a local branch that tracks the
svn remote.

As I said in my earlier reply, I prefer Git over SVN any day of the
week, but I don't have /that/ many issues with the current situation.

So am I correct in understanding that the split view into separate
submodules is primarily for the benefit of the downstream, and most
development of EDK2 will occur in the EDK2 project? In that case, it
is really just a matter of providing a read-only split view, and using
git subtree does sound like a promising approach. But otherwise,
retaining the SVN repo but making it the slave rather than the master,
with some automation in place to keep it in sync sounds reasonable as
well, since it will allow the continued use of svn:externals as
before. Or perhaps we should just do both?

In any case, I think the consensus is that the EDK2 upstream should
remain a single project if it moves to Git. If anyone disagrees with
this observation but hasn't chimed in yet, please speak up and
motivate your position.

--
Ard.