On 17 June 2015 at 11:38, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/17/15 03:10, Peterson, Joe wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> There are a lot of conflicting ideas on how we should lay out our
>> EDK2 repo using Git. We have Submodules, Subtrees, using soft links,
>> etc. Some of the suggestions won't work for various reasons- ex. repo
>> isn't supported on Windows, which is very common amongst EDK2 users.
>>

>> What are everyone's thoughts on just staying with SVN with our mirror
>> on github for people who want to use git locally (and they can check
>> in using git svn)
>
> I prefer to stay with the current setup (ie. SVN is the primary, the git
> mirror is r/o) over switching to a split-up git environment. (I believe
> the same has been voiced by others -- Ard maybe?)

Yes, I agree with that, although a monolithic Git repo is still
strongly my #0 preference.

[...]

> - the svn toolset dictates horrible development practices; we need to
>   get rid of it universally, for all aspects of public development
>
> - the SVN repository as "primary commit store" works acceptably (with
>   the git-svn utility)

Agreed. And I think moving to Git and expecting those bad practices to
vanish spontaneously is a bit naive. The workflows and mailing list
interactions need to improve first, possibly supported by more
developers moving to git-svn locally. Once we achieve that, migrating
the upstream repo is a piece of cake.

--
Ard.