On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Jay Warner wrote (inter alia), replying to Paul
Jeffries:

> Say I look at a pressure gauge.  A clear 0 (absolute zero pressure -
> space), and measurable, even incremented units.  Increase in pressure
> from 100 psi to 101 psi is the same increase as from 0.1 psi to 1.1 psi,
> is the same from 10,000 to 10,001 psi.  Same for dollars.  We put a
> different emotional value on dollars than psi, however :)

Yes, well, psychologists put a different emotional value on psi than
almost anything -- and Paul is apparently a psychologist  ;-)

> > Paul W. Jeffries
> > Department of Psychology
> > SUNY--Stony Brook
> > Stony Brook NY 11794-2500
                                        -- Don.
 Donald F. Burrill                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                             (603) 535-2597
 Department of Mathematics, Boston University                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 111 Cummington Street, room 261, Boston, MA 02215       (617) 353-5288
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                      (603) 471-7128