In his post, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul W. Jeffries) wrote:

> I have a question that must have a simple response...but I don't see
> it right now.  The textbooks say that a ratio scale has the
> properties of an interval scale plus a true zero point.

Okay.

> This implies that any scale that has a true zero point should have
> the cardinal property of an interval scale; namely, equal intervals
> represent equal amounts of the property being measured.

I do not see how the second statement follows from the first.

Statement 1:  (A implies B) and (A implies C)

   where A = is a ratio scale
         B = is an interval scale
         C = has a true zero

Statement 2:  C implies B

But does Statement 2 imply Statement 1?  Consider another example:

         A = is an elephant
         B = is large
         C = is a mammal

Then [(A-->B) and (A-->C)] is true, but C-->A is not true.

--
John Uebersax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com