Hi

On 12 Feb 2001, EAKIN MARK E wrote:

> I have just given a class their first exam and would like to put a class
> of 60 into groups of size three. I would like the groups to have basically
> the same average score on the first exam. Would anyone know of an
> algorithm for doing this?

Assuming you have access to some statistical package like SPSS,
do the following.

1. Seed the random number generator:
        SET SEED RANDOM in SPSS
        - note: RANDOM option does not work on Unix versions
2. Order the cases on the first exam:
        SORT CASES score1
3. Create a blocking variable:
        COMPUTE block = TRUNC(($CASENUM-1)/3)+1
        block will have the values 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,...
4. Generate a random variate:
        COMPUTE rand = uniform
5. Sort on block, rand:
        SORT CASES block, rand
        cases will be in random order within blocks of 3
6. Create a grouping variable:
        COMPUTE group = MOD(($CASENUM-1),3)+1
        Group will have the values 1,2,3,1,2,3,...

Group will contain scores with approximately equivalent averages,
as could be verified by ANOVA.  Forming the groups might also be
done in DBase, a spreadsheet, or any language that could generate
random variates and sort, as long as the program allowed access
to something like $CASENUM (i.e., the current position of the
case/record in the file).

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark