Jim has consistently maintained three claims/arguments:
1. we are not trying to generalize from a small group of people to a larger
population.
2.  No inference is involved (if we are not generalizing)
3.  Using statsitical tests is meaningless (since no inference is involved).

I agree with his 1st and 3rd points -- but not his 2nd.
Within the second, I disagree with the truth of his premise.

The generaliation mentioned in #1 is NOT the only possible generalization.
Another generalization may be involved: that involving time.  We sample
things (basketball goals) for two groups of players in a few games and then
want to make an inference about whether these particular scores were
unlikely given that THESE particular players involved had the same average
scores in the long run -- for all games.

Given a time-based generalization, we now have an inference.  Given this
inference, the applicability of statistical tests seems quite relevant.
Milo
PS. This may be a quasi-Bayesian reinterpretation of these problems -- but
if it fits.....
"Irving Scheffe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> There are a wide variety of probabilities that may be calculated
> in this situation, depending on the assumptions you want to
> make, and precisely what you mean by "this result." However, if you
> ask, "How likely is it that the for side won", the answer is that the
> for side won.  If you ask, "How likely is it that the percentage of
> for votes is higher for women than for men in this sample," the answer
> is that it is perfectly likely, because it happened.
>
> In an example perhaps more relevant to previous examples here, suppose
> this was an actual departmental vote, and the result was 5-3. The
> motion passed.
>
> If one of the men was a statistician wanting to overthrow
> the result and said, "wait a minute,
> let's perform a statistical test and see the probability of
> obtaining this gender split, given that the 5 yes votes were actually
> randomly assigned with respect to gender," I suspect people
> would think him odd. He can compute this probability, but
> it is irrelevant.
>

> On 15 Feb 2001 13:49:51 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul R
> Swank) wrote:
>
> >I remember a question from some stat book about a situation where there
were 8 members of a group, three men and five women (or the reverse, I can't
remember

> >which) and on some issue the vote was five to three with all five women
voting for. The question was "How likely was this event to occur by chance"?
Can we not ask that question?