In order to obtain a patent whether it be a mechanical device or an
algorithm, it has to be described in detail and is available for
anyone's perusal. There's nothing to prevent someone from studying the
algorithm and determining what are  the essential characteristics. Then
programming something similar, perhaps making some effort at disguising
it. How will the orginal patent holder know whether his algorithm is
being used? Moreover how will he prove that infingement occurred? The
"copier" need not reveal his software code. I would would think that
someone who developed an algorithm would be better served obtaining a
trade-mark and agressively marketing his new invention. Without ever
revealing the algorithm.