In article <9adcnm$l9s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jason Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello -- I need to know if such a theorem exists.

>Suppose I have a sequence of RVs: X1, X2, ...
>each with mean mu and finite second momment.
>Now, I know that I have asymptotic normality of
>the standardized sample mean if the RVs are independent.
>The rate of the convergence is SQRT(n).

To get this rate of convergence generally requires
a third moment.

>What I want to know is: is there a theorem that states
>asymptotic normality for the standardized mean at a
>rate n^b for some b?  In particular, does it allow for a
>relaxing of the independence assumption?  For example,
>if there was a dependence within the sequence, perhaps asymptotic
>normality be achieved with an n^(3/4) rate.

>Any thoughts or references are appreciated.

One would have to be very lucky to get rates better
than sqrt(n), or better written, 1/sqrt(n).

The more common case would be to get a worse rate.
Some of the proofs for strong mixing processes, or
stronger, can be used to get rates from the mixing
speed.  If the mixing is exponential, I would be
surprised if the rate is not the same as in the
independent case, except for a constant.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558