On 6 Apr 2001 13:15:34 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zina Taran)
wrote:

 [ ... on logistic regression ]
ZT: "1). The 'omnibus' chi-squared for the equation.  Is it
accurate to say that I can interpret individual significant
coefficients if (and only if) the equation itself is significant? "

Confused question.  Why do you label it the omnibus test?
When you think to use that term, the term is (mainly) a ROLE
for the overall test, or for a test that subsumes a coherent set of
several tests;  sometimes you place use test that way, and
sometimes you don't.

ZT: "2) A few times I added interaction terms and some things
became significant.  Can I interpret these even if the interaction
variable itself (such as 'age') is not  significant?  Can I interpret
an interaction term if neither variable has a significant beta?"

Probably not.  Assuredly not, unless someone has used care and
attention (and knowledge) in the exact dummy-coding of the effects.

[ ... snip, 'Nagelkerke' that I don't recall; 'massive' regression
which is a term that escapes me, but I think it means, 'no hypotheses,
test everything'; and so I disapprove. ]
ZT: "5) I know the general rule is 'just the facts'  in the results
section, meaning that there should be no explanation or
interpretation regarding the results.  When writing the results
section do I specifically draw conclusions as to whether a
hypothesis is supported or does that get left to the discussion?"

Do you have an Example that is difficult?  - It seems to me that
if the analyses are straightforward, there should be little question
about what the 'results'  mean, when you lay them out in their own,
minimalist section.  In other words, leave discussion to the
discussion; but that should be a re-cap of what's apparent.
You hope.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html