Mark W. Humphries <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> I am attempting to self-study basic multivariate statistics using Kachigan's
> "Statistical Analysis" (which I find excellent btw).

> Perhaps someone would be kind enough to clarify a point for me:

> If I understand correctly the t test, since it takes into account degrees of
> freedom, is applicable whatever the sample size might be, and has no
> drawbacks that I could find compared to the z test. Have I misunderstood
> something?

You're running into a historical artifact: in pre-computer days, using the
normal distribution rather than the t distribution reduced the size of the
tables you had to work with.  Nowadays, a computer can compute a t
probability just as easily as a z probability, so unless you're in the
rare situation Karl mentioned, there's no reason not to use a t test.