All of your observations about the deficiencies of data are perfectly
valid. But what do you do? Just give up because your data are messy, and
your assumptions are doubtful and all that? Go and dig ditches instead?
You can only analyse data by making assumptions - by working with models
of the world. The models may be shonky, but they are presumably the best
you can do. And within those models you have to assume the data is what
you think it is.

I agree that we do not, in general, make it sufficiently clear to
students that all statistical analysis deals with models, and those
models involve assumptions which are frequently heroic - but you do have
to get down to doing some analysis at some time, you can't just whinge
about the lousy data, and to do that analysis you pick the techniques
appropriate to the models you are working with.

Alan