Hi

It has been a few years since teaching intro stats to psych
students, but I too liked the sequence: binomial -> normal ->
t-distribution ...

The binomial allows students with basic probability skills to
actually calculate the probabilities for a sampling distribution.
This provides a solid conceptual foundation for Type I and Type
II errors and the associated probabilities.  Generalizing to the
normal distribution, starting with the normal approximation of
the binomial, is a modest conceptual step that still allows
computation of direct probabilities for Type I and II errors,
although the areas themselves are taken on faith except in
courses where the underlying mathematics is taught (and
understood).  The next step to the t-distribution involves
another modest change, still allowing students to root their
understanding in the basic material that has gone before.

To try and skip over these preliminary, albeit temporary,
techniques is mistaken because students are not given the
foundations upon which to base their understanding of the later
tests.  What does a t-distribution mean to a student who does not
know what a binomial distribution is and how to calculate the
probabilities, and who does not know what a normal distribution
is and how to obtain the probabilities?  In fact, what does the
whole idea of a distribution in general and sampling distribution
in particular mean for students when the basics are omitted?  It
is far more important to give solid foundations in the
entry-level course than to "make room" for more sophisticated
tests that students will only vaguely understand.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark