Hi

On 25 Apr 2001, Alan McLean wrote:
> I agree - although students do need tables in (written) exams....... But
> we use a computer program called Tuteman in our teaching and testing, so
> the natural way to find critical values or p-values is via the computer
> - we use Excel mainly. In general, I emphasise the use of p values - in
> many ways it is a  more natural way than using critical values to carry
> out a test. The p value is a direct measure of 'strength of evidence'.

> "Paul W. Jeffries" wrote:
> > But this approach made me think about artifacts in statistics.  What are
> > list members views on teaching students to use tables.  In the computer
> > age, tables are an anachronism.  The vast majority of students will never
> > use a t table.  They will just rely on the computer to print the p value.

The following article by Dawson in 1997 described how it would be
possible to have improved tables (i.e., more p values) that were
more compatible with the probability approach.

http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/v5n2/dawson.html

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark