At 09:29 PM 4/26/01 -0500, Christopher Tong wrote:
>On 26 Apr 2001, dennis roberts wrote:
>
> > i would put a different spin on this ... if students use the crib sheet
> > (which i let them have too) AND have to depend on it TO remember important
> > formulas/definitions ... then this works against them since, they will
> then
> > be spending time on "consulting" their card ... and hoping to find
> > something ... when they could be using that time to work on other problems
> > or items ... or give more time to problems that are a bit more complex
>
>That is not true.  In contrast to the open book exam, a crib sheet
>forces the student to first organize and digest the material being tested,
>and then select those items/formulas which he does not want to waste time
>memorizing.

a crib sheet does not force the student to do anything other than put some
things down on a notecard ... WHAT they put down, WHY they selected what
they did, ... are unknowns and, vary from student to student. the reality
is that we don't know about this ... THAT's why i expanded a bit about an
interest in trying to find out

some might put down what they know they will NOT remember ... whether they
tried to learn it before or not
some might put down highly idiosyncratic things ... that would make no
particular sense to us
most would put down formulas ... EVEN if they know them backwards and
forwards ... they THINK they need to have them there

>If that is the case, the student treats the crib sheet
>the same way that a scientist treats the CRC Handbook of Physics and
>Chemistry, kept within arm's reach.  The Handbook gives you the details so
>you get them right, but it is up to you to understand the
>underlying concepts and the overall organization of the body of knowledge
>in question.  If a student takes this approach,

IF IF ... they take that approach ... but do they? that is the question
some are very systematic about this ... actually planning what they want
... others slap them together at the last moment ...

we are not talking about what could be ... but what is and, generally
speaking, i stick to my guns in thinking that IF a student has to consult
the crib sheet too often ... they are losing time and, are groping for help

>The process of organizing the material and boiling it down to a card
>or a summary is, arguably, more valuable for learning than the actual
>exam itself, when done right. <<<<< WHEN DONE RIGHT

>  That is because the exam can only test
>a cross-section of material and understanding, whereas producing a good
>summary of the entire course is quite an instructive project.

a student who makes a crib sheet, if allowed, will only put down stuff
he/she THINKS will be needed on THAT test ...

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm