David Heiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> We seem to have a lot of recent questions involving combinations, and
> probabilities of combinations.
>
> I am puzzled.
>
> Are these concepts no longer taught as a fundamental starting point in stat?
> I remember all the urn problems and combinations of n taken m times, with
> and without replacements, the lot sampling problems, gaming problems, etc.
> These were all preliminary, early in the semester (fall). Now to see these
> questions popping up late in spring?
>
> Times may have changed, since the 1940's, and perhaps there is more
> important stuff to teach.

Even if times hadn't changed, perhaps some of the posters aren't
studying in the US, so their timetable may not match yours. (Right
now it's late autumn where I am sitting.)

Here in Australia, for example, the school year is the same as the
calendar year - high schools will start in early February, universities
will mostly start in early March (though it varies some from institution
to institution).

And not all posters are necessarily at university.

However, I'd guess that many stats courses no longer do much
combinatorial probability.

Glen