In sci.stat.edu Ronald Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It has become the custom, in epidemiological reports
> to use always the hypergeometric inference test --
> The Fisher Exact Test -- when treating 2x2 tables
> arising from all manner of experimental setups -- e.g.

Only for tables with small cell sizes (and for combination of multiple
such tables), and only because software is freely available.  I would
have thought it is more likely to be seen used for large sparse 2xK tables,
eg HLA literature. Its shortcomings (conservative under the other setups)
are also well known (I hope!).

David Duffy.