There was some research recently linking heart attacks with
Marijuana smoking.

I'm trying to work out the correlation and, most
importantly, its statistical significance.

In essence the problem comes down to:

Of 8760 hours in a year, 124 had heart attacks in them, 141
had MJ smokes in them and 9 had both.

What statistical tests apply?
Most importantly, what is the statistical significance of
the correlation between smoking MJ in any hour and having a
heart attack in that same hour?
What is the probablity that the null hypothesis (that
smoking marijuana and having a heart attack are unrelated)
can be rejected?
How reliable are the results from a dataset of this size?

I'm not very literate in maths and stats - please help me
out someone. I'm interested in this research from the
perspective of medicinal marijuana.

Thanks and take care,
Paul
All About MS - the latest MS News and Views
http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/