On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:37:02 +0100, "Mr Unreliable"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>David C. Ullrich wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>
>>On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:22:25 +0100, Paul Jones
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>There was some research recently linking heart attacks with
>>>Marijuana smoking.
[...]
>>Fascinating topic. If this is not actually homework you
>>need to explain the question much more accurately.
>
>The data presented may refer to a much-reported study. (See, for example,
>http://www.eurekalert.org/releases/bidm-bsf022800.html
>)
>

>To quote from there:
>
>"The findings are the latest to emerge from a multicenter study of 3,882
>patients who survived heart attacks. In this report, 124 people reported
>using marijuana regularly. Of these, 37 people reported using marijuana
>within 24 hours of their heart attacks, and nine smoked marijuana within an
>hour of their heart attacks."

Right. Seems to me (although I really know nothing about this
sort of thing) that to draw any reliable conclusions (not that
_you_'d care about that) we need to know a little more, like what
fraction of the people who did _not_ get heart attacks smoke,
regularly or otherwise.

>Note:
>
>"124" people...
>"9" within an hour...
>And 3882/37 + 37 = "141"
>
>MU

David C. Ullrich
"Sometimes you can have access violations all the
time and the program still works." (Michael Caracena,
comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc 5/1/01)