On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:39:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.
Ullrich) sat on a tribble, which squeaked:

>That's one scary thing - in fact there are places in
>Windows95 where the system _regularly_ creates GPF's;
>something to do with thunking or something.
>
>But the scary thing about the quote is that the
>guy was advocating _hiding_ AV's in programs we
>write instead of fixing them. AV's can be hard to
>debug - the eaiest way is to make certain they
>don't arise in the first place. And given this
>guy's attitude, one of the steps involved in
>ensuring that your code contains no hard-to-debug
>AV's is making sure you never use anything
>he wrote. Hence the sig - it's a public-service
>thing.

>"Sometimes you can have access violations all the
>time and the program still works." (Michael Caracena,
>comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc 5/1/01)

And yet he never made the connection that maybe Michael Caracena's
code *is* the code in Windows that regularly GPFs...

(Seriously though -- core parts of Windoze are written in Pascal, and
it is known that Windoze does hide some AVs it commits, especially
those involving reading through a null pointer!)
--
Bill Gates: "No computer will ever need more than 640K of RAM." -- 1980
"There's nobody getting rich writing software that I know of." -- 1980