You can modify the rank() function using the following one:

IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$6,A1)=1, RANK(A1,A$1:A$6,1),
RANK(A1,A$1:A$6,1)+(COUNTIF(A$1:A$6,A1)-1)/2)

In this setting, the data range is A1:A6 (as the example you mentioned in your
email), and ranking is in the ascending order, e.g. smaller number gets smaller
rank. You can type this function in cell B1, and copy the formula to B1:B6. Let
me know if you need further info.

Jay