A biology student came to me with a data analysis situation that I wasn't sure how to
deal with.  Sound advice would be appreciated.

Scenario:

Ben has a number of 1 meter square plots where he placed one or more seeds:
   50 plots with 1 seed
   10 plots with 25 seeds
   10 plots with 50 seeds

He replicated that design with four species of seeds.

He visited the plots every day for a week to count the number of seeds remaining.

So the questions of interest are:
   a) Does density have an effect on seed survival?
   b) Does species have an effect on survival?
   c) What does the data look like over time?

We considered modelling/analyzing the data in two ways (using SAS):

1) with seed as the unit of analysis, using Proc Lifetest to generate survival curves.
    The problem:  for medium and high density plots, seeds would not seem to be
    independent.

2) with plot as the unit of analysis, using GLM to get a mixed model, where
    time is a repeated measure and density and species are between groups factors.
    Problem:  low density (1 seed) plots have a dichotomous outcome, so much
    of the data is non-normal.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

rick barton