Consider the mechanisms which reduce the number of live seeds.

Hypothesis 1. Soil quality determines what proportion will germinate. Crowding reduces
the share of the available nutrient resources per
seed.

Hypothesis 2. Predation by birds is more likely when the density is higher so that the
seeds are more visible.

Hypothesis 3. Competition with other plants (weeds) determines the survival of the
target seeds.

I see no problem with the descriptive measures proposed, but the experiment should be
tailored to the kinds of alternative hypotheses
entertained.