On 8 Dec 1999, Luv 2 muah 143 wrote:

> 5 of 10 volunteers are randomly selected to receive self-defense training.  The
> other 5 receive no training.  At the end of the training period, all subjects
> complete a self-confidence questionnaire.
>
> a.)  Is there a difference in self-confidence between the 2 groups (p<.01)?
>

> b.)  What are the effects of self-defense traing on self-confidence (I'm
> assuming a two-tailed test?).  Explain analysis
>
> Please help, I can't figure it out...my mind has gone blank!!!!

Without a pre-test measure of self-confidence, taken prior to the
training, even if there is a significant difference post-training, it's
not possible to tell whether the difference is the result of the training
or was there to begin with.

If there is a pre-post measurement of self-confidence, then you need a
mixed model Anova, with Training vs. No Training as the between groups
factor and Pre-Post as the within groups factor.

Mike