On 14 Dec 1999 16:38:00 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rich Strauss)
wrote:

< snip >
> I'll just add the usual caveat that hasn't yet been mentioned in these
> comment about proportions just being means all assume that the data really
> are proportions, not ratios -- that is, that the denominator is fixed among
> all values, not variable.  The problem is that many people use the terms
> interchangably, talking about proportions or percentages when they're
> actually dealing with ratios.

Ratios are one problem.  Right -- be careful about them.

But Proportions are another problem when the denominators are not the
same.  If one subject is scored a proportion which is  none-for-one,
0/1= 0%,  that is usually a score with far less "information,"  and
bigger standard error on the response,  than if another subject rates
0/20=0%.

I am not referring just to zero -- if subjects have data based on
vastly different Ns, it may be wasteful to lump them based on
percents.  One approach that seemed useful for some analyses of
genotypes was:  do separate analyses for different N, and then combine
those analyses.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html