In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> <snip>
>
>On the other hand, a body of knowledge can be thought of as a set of
>'rules'. The important thing is that this set is constructed by the
>individual, so our aim should not be to teach statistics as a set of
>rules, but in such a way that each student can develop his or her own
>set of rules. They won't be the same for all, and they will different
>from the teacher's, but they hopefully will work. (If you like, this is
>a defintion of a 'good student' - one who manages to construct a
>successful set of rules for each subject.

It's either undergraduate students in Australia are much smarter than those
living in the United States or you live on a different planet. The last time I
taught an undergraduate introductory statistics class, some students couldn't
even do fractions and simple algebra. Can you expect them to develop their own
rules?

Why are people so obsessed with T and Z? When the degrees of freedom exceeds
say 30, the difference between T and Z is practically negligible. You can use T
or Z in such a case. However, the P-value from Z is easier to compute.

--
Tjen-Sien Lim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]