On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Michael Granaas wrote:

> A student recently came in having divided skewness scores by their
> standard errors.  A procedure he said he got from a text.  Does this in
> fact make any sense at all?

Why not...?  Although the measures of skewness and kurtosis are not
normally distributed, the result of such a division does tell you how many
standard errors you deviate from expectation.  I tell students that as
long as they are both within +/- 2 standard errors, they are probably OK.
If the measures convert to SEs outside of +/- 3, they might want to be
careful... Of course, they also need to look at graphics such as
histograms, box-plots, and/or normal probability plots...

WBW

William B. Ware, Professor and Chair               Educational Psychology,
CB# 3500                                       Measurement, and Evaluation
University of North Carolina                         PHONE  (919)-962-7848
Chapel Hill, NC      27599-3500                      FAX:   (919)-962-1533
http://www.unc.edu/~wbware/                          EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]