I have found that a course in medical terminology has been the most helpful background
outside of the traditional statistics and biostatistics courses.  When I got my
biostats masters, a course in medical terminology was required.  Working in a
hospital, I find that course is still a lifesaver for me in facilitating communication
between researchers and myself.

Karen Scheltema, M.A., M.S.
Statistician
North Memorial Health Care
Quality Resources Dept.
3300 Oakdale Ave N
Robbinsdale, MN 55422
(612) 520-2744    (612) 520-4686 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/23/00 01:21PM >>>
 First, I would like to say thank you for the responses that I got to my
question about computing. Secondly, I have a question about the topic of
biostatistics, which perhaps someone can answer as well. Specifically, how
extensive does one's background in science have to be, in order to be
proficient in biostatistics? My undergraduate degree is in mathematics, and
I have some background in general chemistry and physics. I definitely plan
to take at least a year of biology, but I am also wondering if I should
take a course in organic chemistry as well. Although I intend to major in
applied statistics, I have noticed that some graduate schools have
biostatistics programs that require very little background in science,
while others require more advanced science courses. Any information would
be greatly appreciated.

                        Sincerely,
                                        Thomas Souers