the other thing i wanted to mention was that ... if you develop some strict
calculator policy ... then you spend too much time at the beginning of a
class ... checking to make sure that each student ONLY has what is allowed ...

in addition, since good calculators allow storage ... and we would
encourage students to have this kind ... then when it comes to a test ...
you either have to SUPPLY any one who wants one with one ... OR, you are
putting at some disadvantage those with real goods ones ... that they can't
bring ... compared to students who have simpler ones ... and CAN bring them

if you are that worried about what they can or can't do with the calculator
... don't allow ANY calculator ... other than their HEAD ... to be used.

we have an analogous situation for our doctoral students who take "written"
comprehensives ... some would like to use the computer for word processing
... then we are all bent out of shape worrying about what they might bring
in ON a disk .... or, if we allow them to use their OWN laptops ... what
MIGHT they have HIDDEN inside ... ???

this is too much worry that a well constructed test ... would keep us from.