i would like to (approximately) echo the other responses on this topic.  last
fall i was almost trapped in a very poorly taught econometrics class and the
clincher was when i showed up to take the first exam and found out it was to be
closed book - it never even occurred to me to ask.  i cannot remember the last
time i had a test that was closed book/notes.  this particular class focused on
memorizing definitions and using software like a black box, NOT on
understanding stats.

when engineers take the state licensing exam, they can bring in a suitcase full
of books if they care to.  i probably brought about 10, AND i knew what
formulae to use in what situations and where to find them.  i'm not aware that
this practice has caused any dangers to the citizenry, and presumably the state
licensing board doesn't think so either.

"Brian E. Smith" wrote:

> I am trying to formulate a calculator policy in a department that currently
> allows any calculator except "those capable of storing text".  That rules
> out all of the graphing calculators since they have alphanumeric
> capability.  I use a TI-83 or TI-86 in my statistics class but under the
> current policy I cannot allow my students to bring one into class.  If
> anyone has a faculty or departmental policy that will allow me to use the
> TI (or other similar) calculators while overcoming the concern that
> students will (mis)use the text capability to store formulas or notes, I
> would appreciate hearing from you.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

> Brian E. Smith                          TEL: 514-398-4038 (Work)
> McGill University                       FAX: 514-398-3876 (Work)
> 1001 Sherbrooke St. West                FAX: 514-482-1639 (Home)
> Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1G5            EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> No human investigation can be called real science if it cannot be
> demonstrated mathematically.  Leonardo da Vinci

> This list is open to everyone.  Occasionally, less thoughtful
> people send inappropriate messages.  Please DO NOT COMPLAIN TO
> THE POSTMASTER about these messages because the postmaster has no
> way of controlling them, and excessive complaints will result in
> termination of the list.
>
> For information about this list, including information about the
> problem of inappropriate messages and information about how to
> unsubscribe, please see the web page at
> http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Any resemblance of any of the above opinions to anybody's official position is
completely coincidental.

Muriel Strand, P.E.
Air Resources Engineer
CA Air Resources Board