Mark Glickman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm mystified that my post has generated such a negative
reaction.
>It would be great to have a lecturer who was willing to
>devote as much time as Petr is willing to.  On the other hand,
>don't forget that we're advertising a part-time temporary
>position that is meant to attract someone with a (mostly)
>full-time job who shouldn't be expected to work more than 10
>hours per week.  Frankly, with the resources available
>(e.g., class notes from other faculty who have taught the
>course) the preparation time could be minimal.  I,
>personally, spend quite a bit more than 10 hours per week
>per class (writing up handouts, web-related material, etc.)
>because it is part of my career development, and I enjoy
>teaching well.
>
>By the way, $5000 salary for a course is quite competitive
>for teaching in the Boston area, so at least the market deems
that our
>salary is fair, even if Petr doesn't.

In fact, the $5000 salary is good for such positions! In the NYC
area, the going rate for "adjunct" or "part-time" faculty is
$1600-$2000 per 3-credit course per semester, sans TA or grader,
but without office hours requirement. I taught one course, but
found the compensation insufficient. Apparently, the supply of
part-time teachers around NYC is infinite!

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com