Ken,
I believe the paper you want is one of the following 2 (I don't have the
papers in front of me to be sure).

Guttman, L.L. (1944).  "A basis for scaling qualitative data" American
Sociological Review, 9, 139-150.

Guttman, L.L. (1947).  "On Festinger's evaluation of scale analysis"
Psychological Bulletin, 44, 451-465.

Chris
At 03:05 PM 09/26/2000 +1000, Ken Reed wrote:
>Guttman wrote a paper, in the 40s I think, called something like: "The four
>principal components of a scale". It was re-printed later in an edited book.
>
>Can anyone help with the full reference?

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Christopher J. Mecklin, PhD
Assistant Professor
Murray State University