>>Robert Dawson writes:
>
>>An important issue is that no one ran a pilot on this ballot.
>
>once again ... failure to do a pilot jumps up and bites one on the backside
>... a fundamental principle in research, ignored ...

Although I have not followed this election thread very carefully,
my understanding of the situation is that this county had a
wealth of pilot data to suggest that their ballot layout was
flawed based on their substantially higher than other counties
spoiled ballot percentages in previous elections.  Thus, this
issue is less that they didn't know that their ballot formats
and their ballot counting mechanism were flawed, but that they
either didn't care or didn't have the resources available to
change their system.

                                     _____________
Kevin F. Spratt                     |             |
Iowa Testing Programs        (ITP) (               )
University of Iowa Back Care (UIBC) \              \_ University
Iowa Spine Research Center   (ISRC)  \          *    \ of Iowa
224-D Lindquist Center                \              / Hawkeyes
The University of Iowa                 |____________ )
Iowa City, Iowa 52242                               V
(319) 335-5572         (voice)
(319) 335-6399         (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (e-mail)